My 45 Minutes In A Japanese Police Station


I have done no fault but nevertheless I had no other option. It was all voluntary, no one was to blame not even the person whose wallet I found in front of my apartment. Yes, I picked (not steal) someone's wallet and because I cannot personally communicate with the owner, I surrendered the item to the police.  

Police Station
A successful trip to the koban (police station) took me 3 days...sometimes it would rain, other times no one was there (which was kinda strange). And because my Japanese is barely survival level, I had to explain how I found the wallet, when I found the wallet in ways which showcased my acting and drawing skills in what seemed like the charades/guessing game.

The wallet I found

But time ticked by as the police officer examined and listed in great detail (credit card number, ID number) all the items in the wallet. He made some calls and later on he was able to obtain the owner's contact number.  He counted the cash placed it inside an enveloped, which he sealed and he had me sign some documents which I never really understood. 

But the final 20 minutes was actually spent on some Q&A which could have been quick had my Japanese been a lot better ^_^ In an attempt to solve the issue they showed me a book with many dialogues in various languages and I also had to call a friend who speaks Japanese.

Police: If nobody claims the wallet after 30 days, would you like to keep it?
Me: No
Police: If nobody claims the cash, would you take it?
Me: Thinks for a while (just kidding). of course I said no
Police: Would you like a reward for returning the wallet?
Me: (shocked for a bit) No thank you
Police: So arigatou gozaimasu is enough?
Me: Hai.

2 days after the incident, the owner called me thanking me for his wallet but actually "arigatou gozaimashita" was all I can make out of what he said over the phone. Too bad I cannot speak Japanese, it was really one of those moments when I wished I could at least say something other than "Iie, dou itashimashite" (you are welcome).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Japan Tidbits © 2012 | Designed by Rumah Dijual, in collaboration with Buy Dofollow Links! =) , Lastminutes and Ambien Side Effects