Japanese Rainy Day Acrobatics


grace under pressure (girls riding bikes with umbrellas on one hand during
a typical Japanese rainy day)
This is something I have been wanting to write about because I am excited to share my fascination with you. And because the weather today is very timely, there is no perfect moment to blog about this but now.
Man's reaction to rainy days varies. I personally like it when it rains because it feels colder and the sky has this downcast colors which lulls me to introspection. When clouds shed tears, I am easily invited to do the same both because of sadness and happiness about things that were, are and will be. But rainy days here in Japan sometimes distract me from solitude because sights of local folks doing some sort of circus act paints a smile of amazement on my face.
My country is not a biking community, rather we rely either on walking or riding public jeepneys to get to us to where we want. Normally, rainy days in my country would be something like this. People just walk with their umbrella's or ride jeepneys with "trapal", a plastic sheet to cover the open windows. People would never dare to ride the bike or if they do, they usually wear raincoats. But not in Japan...
A typical rainy day in my country
This is how a Japanese commutes to work/school when it rains. Fearlessly and with great skill, he maneuvers himself on the slippery streets in a balancing act-holding an umbrella in one hand and the bicycle handle on the other. And let me just add that biking routes here are seldom flat. Going to school from my apartment entails traversing  3 hills (not an exaggeration I promise). The Japanese people are among the best bikers I have met in my life and their exposure to biking traces back  to childhood.
A typical Japanese act when it rains
Of course bicycle shops here in Japan have cool products too, especially for the rainy days. If you have a very faint heart but is eager to avoid the downpour, you can try out this umbrella holder for a price.
an umbrella holder might save your rainy day life (Photo credit)
I have tried biking with an umbrella once or twice and I can manage to do so if the road is flat. But once I feel a slight wiggle, I tense up and then hold the bike handle altogether. From trying and trying this simple thing, I have realized something. You just have to pedal continuously and without fear because it keeps you going and stops the bike from falling. Holding the umbrella is not the most difficult thing to do, it is trusting that even if you hold just one handle you are going to be safe. The same goes in many of life's challenges, I guess.
stunts that know no age
And once a biker, always a biker because this challenging act can be done by people of all ages. Mastery comes with constant practice and once learned and continuously applied, it will never be forgotten.
One last look with the rain so you can see what I mean (Photo credit)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Japan Tidbits © 2012 | Designed by Rumah Dijual, in collaboration with Buy Dofollow Links! =) , Lastminutes and Ambien Side Effects