Why Japanese Manhole Covers Are So Adorable

Japanese Manhole Collection (photo credit)

I have always equated manholes to a lot of negative words: filth, slime, grime and the "dark abyss". I remember walking down the streets of flooded Manila during board exam review days, and each step made me feel a little closer to God because I would constantly whisper to myself "Lord, sana 'wag po akong mahulog sa manhole" (Lord, I hope I will not fall into a manhole). Because, back in my country, manhole covers would sometimes mysteriously disappear.



More manhole cover (photo credit)
Here in Japan, manhole covers are not just dark, metallic, circular objects that you would expect of a typical manhole. Instead, such humble objects have become an outlet for creativity and artistry. Each piece is unique and specific to a particular location, sometimes adding a local symbol as the motif for the overall design. Its colors and intricate details makes me want to have one for myself! 
Detective Konan!! (photo credit)

Chiba Japan Manhole Cover (photo credit)
I think collecting manhole cover images would be a great hobby. Why not? There are a lot of holes to cover here so you will certainly never get bored. If you do a Google search of Japanese manhole covers, you will probably see a lot lot more. Enjoy!   

Matsumoto City, Nagano Prefecture (Photo credit)
Mr. Fireman!
Osaka Prefecture, my prefecture with the Osaka castle
Photocredit


Also check more pictures here in Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/groups/japanese_manhole_covers/pool/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Japan Tidbits © 2012 | Designed by Rumah Dijual, in collaboration with Buy Dofollow Links! =) , Lastminutes and Ambien Side Effects